748. To whom pardon may be granted
748. (1) Her Majesty may extend the royal mercy to a person who is sentenced to imprisonment under the authority of an Act of Parliament, even if the person is imprisoned for failure to pay money to another person.
Free or conditional pardon
(2) The Governor in Council may grant a free pardon or a conditional pardon to any person who has been convicted of an offence.
Effect of free pardon
(3) Where the Governor in Council grants a free pardon to a person, that person shall be deemed thereafter never to have committed the offence in respect of which the pardon is granted.
Punishment for subsequent offence not affected
(4) No free pardon or conditional pardon prevents or mitigates the punishment to which the person might otherwise be lawfully sentenced on a subsequent conviction for an offence other than that for which the pardon was granted.